, pub-2553055199230800, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
top of page

Ironing out a few things

I love ironing. I really do. I find it very therapeutic. There is something about getting wrinkles out of fabric that is very satisfying. Give me a basket of old linens to iron and I am a happy camper!

I found this cute little ironing board at an auction earlier this spring. It had a cover on it but that didn't concern me because I usually sell them without a cover. People use them for a variety of things—Pinterest shows them used message boards or shelving in their laundry room, general decor or even for their children or grandchildren to play with now. I even saw one on Pinterest repurposed as a ghost for Halloween decor.

When I removed the existing cover, it was dirty and dusty. I cleaned the board, but it still had a film from the old padding.

It wouldn't come off easily so I decided to just make a new cover for the ironing board.

I purchased this vintage fabric from a garage sale a few weeks ago. The owner said they used to be curtains. I bought every one they had. I loved the bright and cheery essence of the fabric.

So I had never made an ironing board cover before and I certainly didn't have a pattern. So what do you do? Wing it!

I started by tracing the outline of the ironing board on the fabric with a fabric marker. Then I measured the depth of the side of the ironing board (approx 1 inch) and added a line on the fabric to accommodate the sides of the ironing board. Then I added 2.5 inches to allow for folding over to allow a tunnel for the elastic. There was no science here, only educated guesses. I didn't know if it would work or not.

I sewed around the folded area and left an opening at the end (bottom of photo) to pull through elastic.

I used 3/8" braided elastic and threaded it through the tunnel I created in the cover.

Before stitching the elastic together and sewing up the opening, I pinned it with a safety pin and tried it on the board. It worked! It fit really well. I stitched the elastic together and sewed up the opening.

It basically looked like a giant shower cap when I was finished.

I put it on the ironing board and it looked awesome! I did add a layer of cotton batting under the cover just to cushion it a bit. I doubt anyone will be ironing with this but I wanted it to feel authentic! I think the vintage fabric was a good choice for this. It really adds a lot of charm!

Now it is ready to go into the shop!

If you like my blog, please follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media buttons in the sidebar above! Thanks for following me on the junking journey!


bottom of page