Updated: Jan 3
I went to a "new for me" auction a few weeks ago. I had heard of this particular auction company but had never been to one of their auctions. I received an email via estatesales.net promoting this particular auction and a couple of the pictures piqued my interest. I ended up getting several great items from that auction including these door panels which we made into coat racks. I also picked up a trunk similar to one we just recently finished. The new trunk is on the "to do" list. While we were waiting for a few things to come up for auction, my God-daugther spied this cabinet.
It was back in a corner with a large mirror and a few other things stacked in front of it. It was in pieces, but it was pretty solid. The door was detached and there were spare pieces of the door taped to it with painter's tape. It had three shelves, but no shelf brackets. There was no back on the piece.
We won the bid along on the cabinet along with several other pieces. Don't ask me how we got them all into my Grand Cherokee, but we did it—in a snowstorm no less!
Once of the things I loved about this cabinet was that someone had removed the green paint from the base of the cabinet, but had not removed all of it. This was clearly someone's project piece. I loved it just the way it is so I didn't attempt to remove the rest of the paint. The door was still green so I don't mind the little bits of green here and there.
After giving it a good cleaning, I gave it a coat of Varathane Crystal Clear Satin polyurethane. It really brought out the richness of the wood.
I needed to figure out what to use for the back of the cabinet. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the back but I wanted it to go with the look of cabinet. I picked up some pine tongue and groove bead boards. A package of 8 was just enough to cover the back of this cabinet.
I painted the boards with Waverly Chalk Paint in a Cashew color. I sanded and distressed them and then sealed them with Varathane Crystal Clear Satin polyurethane.
I attached the boards to the back of the cabinet. They worked out perfectly for this project. I love the knotholes which occur randomly in the boards.
I reassembled the door and attached it to the frame. I decided to not put glass in the door. I considered glass as well as chicken wire, but I decided to do neither. This was going to be an anchor piece in my booth and I didn't wan't people opening the door to access items displayed in the cabinet. I decided to let the purchaser of the cabinet decide what would work best for them.
We kept the original door pull. The latch still worked and I do love me some rust!
Now the fun part! Finding goodies to display in the cabinet!
This cabinet turned out really well. It will be a perfect piece to anchor the booth. Hopefully it finds a new home (I don't have room for it!), but if it sits in the booth for a while, I am okay with that too!
This piece is currently at The Standard in Bourbon, IN if you are interested! It is for sale! Update: It has sold!
Thank you for reading my blog! If you would like to see more, follow me on Facebook, Instagram,and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media links above! Thanks for following me on the junking adventures!
Below are some links to products I used in this project. Disclaimer: Junk is My Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Below is an image to pin to Pinterest if you would like to save this idea!