, pub-2553055199230800, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
top of page

Revamped Rocking Chair

I finished a lot of projects while everything was shut down. So many that my blog posts are now way behind! This rocking really needed a revamp. It screamed 1970s and the addition of the red fabric at some point in its life was long past the revitalization phase. Children's chairs sell very well in all my booths. I try to pick them up whenever I can. I bought this one last summer and finally got around to changing it up this spring.

Fortunately, it wasn't dirty, just dated. I removed the seat and the back pillow.

I did give it a quick cleaning to get rid of any dust and to have a clean surface.

I gave it a couple coats of Rustoleum Chalked paint in the Coastal Blue color.

After it dried, it distressed the paint.

Then I added a coat of Varathane Crystal Clear Polyurethane in the Satin finish to seal the paint. It is beginning to look better already!

Usually when in am un-upholstering a piece, there are a million staples to remove. The person who added this fabric was obviously a minimalist and it was easy to remove the red fabric. Unfortunately, there was a second layer of fabric underneath.

After completely stripping the seat of the old fabric, I added new foam and batting and covered it with a brightly colored striped fabric. It was originally a shower curtain made of a canvas fabric. I had picked it up a few months ago. You may remember the last project this fabric covered.

For the pillow cushion on the back of the chair I created a pattern using the dimensions of the old pillow. I used the canvas shower curtain fabric. I wanted the stripes to go in the same direction as the seat so I ensured they would align (more about that later!).

I added a new pillow form inside the cushion.

I created some tabs with snaps to secure the cushion to the back of the chair.

Then I turned under the open edge of the pillow and stitched it closed.

The chair was finished! Or so I thought. When I first put the seat on the chair. I thought it didn't fit right. Remember I aligned the fabric on the seat and the pillow? Well, after fiddling around with the seat to get the wobble out, I realized I had the wood oriented the wrong way. So once I fixed that, this was my problem.

The stripes were no longer aligned. So I thought through my options:

  1. leave it as is.

  2. reupholster the seat to change the direction of the fabric

  3. make a new pillow for the back of the chair to align the fabric.

I chose option 3. I liked the direction of the stripes on the seat so I just remade another pillow. I tried to salvage the first one but it didn't fit well when I turned it sideways.

Fortunately, I had fabric left and could just whip up another one.

This one didn't last long in the booth. It sold in June.

If you like my blog, please follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media links above! Thanks for following me on the junking journey!

Below is an image to pin to Pinterest if you would like to save this idea!


bottom of page