Recently I wrote about visiting the Shipshewana Auction Barn. I went back a couple of weeks ago and came home with this huge barn fan cage.
It was farm fresh. Although I loved all the rust on it, I don't like the barn crud.
A wire brush took care of that. I attacked the fan cover and scrubbed it well with the brush.
Once it was clean, I added a clear coat of polyurethane to protect it. I decided this would make a great clock. It was already divided into 12 sections so it would work perfectly. I ordered a clock kit from Amazon. This fan grid is about 24" across so I didn't want the clock hands to get lost. I ordered simple, clean looking hands that were almost 12" long.
These hands were black out of the package. I wanted some contrast to the rust. I had some silver spray paint and hit them with a light coat of spray paint.
The fan cover did not have a hole for the clock kit. So I quickly drilled a hole.
After the paint was dry on the hands, I assembled the clock kit. It was at that point I decided I hated the silver clock hands. They really didn't pop off of the rust of the fan.
So I went back to the drawing board (and my paint stash) and came up with...
copper. The copper has a nice contrast to the rust. I disassembled the clock, painted the hands again and reassembled the clock kit.
Now it looks amazing! I am really happy with the way this turned out.
It goes nicely with the grouping in my living room. I haven't decided if I am keeping this or selling it. I think I will leave it on the wall whilst I decide. Update: I decided to sell it. It sold quickly once I put it in the booth!
If you like my blog, please follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media links above! Thanks for following me on the junking journey!
#barn #fan #cover #clock #silver #copper #hands #wire #brush #polyurethane #Makeover #Repurpose #repurposed #FabFind