Armadillo Anyone?

I like unusual lamps. I didn't see this one until about five minutes before they put it up for auction. I decided I could make it pretty again.

This thing was filthy. The lamp shade wasn't salvageable so it went into the trash can. Then I started to disassemble the lamp to clean it and rewire it.

When I was able to free the ceramic armadillo I could see the amount of dust and dirt hiding underneath.

Before I disassembled it, I always take a photo of how it was assembled. You would think you would remember, but I don't. You wouldn't believe the number of times I have had to take apart a "finished" lamp because I didn't have it assembled correctly (or I had forgotten a piece).

I removed the ceramic armadillo and gave it a bath (it was disgustingly dirty). When I was trying to clean the base, I realized the original polyurethane layer needed to be stripped and reapplied.

I put a coat of gel stripper on the top of the base. It took three coats to get the thick layer of original poly off.

Then I hit it with my sander to get the last of the poly off and to smooth it out.

Then I applied a new coat of poly (glossy). The above image shows the uncoated vs coated wood.

Side note: I typically would have removed the threaded rod before the poly removal process but this was glued in place and I think the wood would have been damaged if I tried to force it out so I decided to work around it.

Then I rewired it. I purchased a lamp kit at Walmart. The instructions are easy to follow and there are lots of tutorials online so I didn't share the step by step process here. It took less than 10 minutes to rewire the lamp.

I forgot to take a singular image of the armadillo lamp before I took it to the shop. I did add a new burlap lamp shade (garage sale find) so now it is clean, rewired and ready for a mancave!

#armadillo #lamp #lampkit #lampshade #burlap #ceramic #wood #FabFind

12 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All
JIML Header Photo w white letters.jpg

Whether my junk is from a garage sale, estate or farm auction, flea market or the side of the road, I love to find it, fix it, clean it, sell it or keep it. So come along the backroads of Indiana with Junk is My Life (me), let's find something vintage and do something cool with it! Formerly Junk Journal.