As soon as I saw this piece at the auction, I knew I could make it pretty again. I didn't want to lose it so I made sure I stayed in the ring offering this little treasure. I brought this home for a mere $10.
This is a lid to an antique camelback trunk. Just the lid. No trunk. It was in really rough condition.
I wanted to even out the color. The bottom half had glue from the leather or fabric that once covered this trunk. It came off easily with a little sanding.
I used a 1 x 4 to reinforce the back. I wanted it to be hung on the wall so I didn't want it to come apart with the weight of it hanging.
I wanted to add a little richness in the wood color. I chose Varathane Chestnut wood stain.
I really like how it added depth to the piece.
I created a stencil with my Silhouette Cameo.
I painted the stencil with a bronze metallic paint. I think it complemented the stain color well.
I used Varathane Ultimate Polyurethane in the Crystal Clear Satin to seal the trunk lid. I used two coats.
This is the final piece. I ordered some ornate corner pieces from a vintage trunk repair web site. I had intended to spray paint them in a bronze color to match the stenciling, but I didn't like them when added to the corners. I preferred the more rustic look without them. I added hardware to the back to be able to hang on the wall. This is intended to go in the shop so I didn't hang it up to stage it for the photo. I love how this piece turned out.
If you like my blog, please follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media buttons in the sidebar above! Thanks for following me on the junking journey!