, pub-2553055199230800, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
top of page

Trading Benches

Most of my projects have something interesting about them. This one is no different. I acquired this bench last summer during my annual 127 Sale (World's Longest Yard Sale) jaunt. You can read about my adventures by clicking here. I had just found a little wooden pig and was carrying it around while I shopped. Then I found this little bench with the red corduroy fabric.

Looking around for the owner of the bench, I saw this woman heading straight for me. Sometimes it is difficult to locate the owner at one of these sales, but this was not the case.

It was a little beat up, but I knew it would be perfect to paint and distress. She only had $10 on the bench and of course I asked if she would take $8. She said no, but she wanted to trade—for my pig (which I had just purchased for $5). I certainly was not attached to the pig, so I traded it for the bench. Win. Win.

I like to see maker's marks on furniture. It gives a bit of history to the piece. This is from the P.G. Calder Furniture Company of Birmingham, Alabama, which is fitting since I did purchase this piece in Alabama. I tried to find some information about the furniture company. I didn't find much, just a bit of information on BHam Wiki.

I removed the seat to reupholster it by simply removing four screws near each leg on the underside of the seat.

I removed all the tacks and staples and it revealed...

Red vinyl. I'm sensing a theme here with the previous owners. Unfortunately, there will be no more red on this bench. I removed the red vinyl and the padding.

I replaced the old padding with new foam cut to the exact size of the seat. New batting was added as well. I used my staple gun to add this white and black fabric. Always start in the center on each side and work your way out to the corners, turning the piece after you add a couple of staples, it keeps the fabric taut and helps ensure the fabric is straight.

Fabric with any type of pattern, particularly lines like this needs special attention to ensure it aligns with the straight edges of the piece.

The base was painted with Folk Art Black Chalk Paint, distressed with sandpaper and sealed with Rustoleum Matte finishing sealer. The seat was reattached to the base with the four screws.

I love how this one turned out. It is so simple, yet so stylish. It can tuck into a corner or anywhere additional seating may be needed.

If you like my blog, please follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media links above! Thanks for following me on the junking journey!

Below is an image to pin to Pinterest if you would like to save this idea!


bottom of page