, pub-2553055199230800, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
top of page

Milk Painted Table/Bench

My workshop is in a gated area with rows of storage condominiums. Each one is owned by someone and it operates with a HOA type situation. My workshop is huge—these storage condos were built to house boats and RVs for storage. It's heated and has electricity. It's the perfect place to work on my projects. It's also like a neighborhood. There are a lot of people that own units that spend time out there working on various projects whether it be a classic car, woodworking or restoring old wooden doors (which my neighboring unit owner does—and they are amazing!). One of these wonderful "neighbors" stopped by one day to introduce himself. He had heard that I work on furniture. He had a piece with him that he and his wife had purchased when they were first married. It was a small solid wood end table. He was so sweet and insisted that I take it and do something with it. He was so sweet, how could I refuse?

This is it. It's just a really solid wooden table. It was clear it had been in storage for a while, but it didn't need to be re-glued or fixed in any way. It was rock solid. I decided to sand and re-stain the top and paint the bottom with milk paint.

Materials Used for This Project

Rustoleum Milk Paint: I used the Eclipse color for this project.

Sandpaper: I used 60 grit sandpaper to distress the milk paint and various grits to sand the top.

Paint Brush

Polyurethane to Seal the Paint: I used the Varathane Crystal Clear Satin finish.

Wood Stain: I used the Varathane Early American.

Krud Kutter: This works great to clean pieces—particularly when they have layers of dust and dirt.

Painter's Tape: I like the green Frog tape.

I used various grits of sandpaper to remove the old finish off of the top. Once it was silky smooth, I applied a coat of the Varathane Early American stain. When that had dried, I taped off the top with Frog painter's tape.

I painted the base with Rustoleum Milk Paint in the Eclipse color. Most of the time, this covers in one coat. I did add a second coat just to cover a few areas where the wood was still peeking through.

When the paint was dry, I used the 60 grit sandpaper to distress the piece. The shape of the legs of this lends itself well to distressing.

I sealed the paint with Varathane Crystal Clear polyurethane in the satin finish.

I really feel this could be used as a table or a small bench. It would be perfect in a foyer to sit and put on or take off your shoes. The top looks weathered and with the base being distressed, it is perfectly imperfect! I put this in my booth in Bourbon at The Standard and it has found a home!

Thank you for reading my blog! If you would like to see more, follow me on Facebook, Instagram,and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media links above! Thanks for following me on the junking adventures!

Below are some links to products I used in this project. Disclaimer: Junk is My Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Below is an image to pin to Pinterest if you would like to save this idea!


bottom of page